Dr John Mata obtained his B.S. (Cultural Anthropology) 1983, Ph.D. (Medical Sciences/Pharmacology) 2000 and Post-doc (Pharmaceutical Sciences) 2002 experiences at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE; Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE; and Oregon State University, Corvallis respectively.
Dr Mata was:
- Associate Professor (2011 - 2019), Pharmacology, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Western University of Health Sciences, Lebanon.
- Research Pharmacologist (2010 - 2011), Omnigen Research, LLC Corvallis.
- Assistant Professor (2005 - 2011), Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University.
- Assistant Professor (2003 - 2005), Senior Research, College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University.
- Research Associate (2002 - 2003), College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University.
- Pharmacologist/Project Manager (1998 - 2001), AVI BioPharma, Inc., Corvallis.
- Research Coordinator (1989 - 1998), Department of Pharmacology, University of Nebraska Medical Centre, Omaha, NE.
- Research Technologist (1986 - 1989), Epply Institute for Cancer Research and Allied Diseases, Omaha, NE.
- Research Technician (1984 - 1986), Department of Pharmacology, University of Nebraska Medical Centre, Omaha, NE.
Dr Mata has twenty-nine (29) refereed papers in top international peer reviewed journals with three (3) chapters in books, six professional presentations, thirty-one (31) abstract in conferences.
He has won several research grants and contracts spanning millions of dollars with four (4) patent awards/inventions and has been a teacher for almost two decades with various roles as coordinator and co-director of courses.
Dr Mata has served in various committees and a member of several learned societies such as:
- Society of Toxicology; National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases Network of Minority Research Investigators.
- Affiliated Faculty, Centre for Gene Research and Biotechnology, Oregon State University.
- Editorial Board of "Journal of Nanoscience Letters".
- Society for Neuroscience; African Society of Toxicological Sciences.
He has reviewed manuscripts for top journal articles such as Journal of Food Science, Toxicology Letters, Nanomedicine, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Journal of Medicinal Food.
Dr Mata has other non-professionally-related services such as:
- Board of Directors and Secretary for the Jackson Street Youth Shelter (2006 - 2010).
- Volunteer for the Valley Futbol Club (2001 - 2008).
- Volunteer for the North Benton Livestock 4H Club (1999 - 2007).
- Board of Directors for the National Low Income Housing Coalition (1990 - 1992).
- Board of Directors for the National Coalition for the Homeless (1989 - 1991).
- Group Leader, RESULTS (1989 - 1991).
- Co-organizer for Omaha “Candlelight Vigil for Children”, Boystown, NE (1990).
- President, Omaha Coalition for the Homeless (1989 - 1990).
- Center for Global Education Mary Witt Memorial Scholarship Travel Award to Honduras/El Salvador (1989).
- Organizer/Coordinator for UNICEF “State of the World’s Children” Omaha (1989).